If your question is not answered in this section, please review Who Is EligibleEnrollment Information and Members. You may also contact the toll-free helpline at 1-877-982-2447 for additional information.

Q. How Do I apply for WVCHIP?

A. You can complete an application online at www.wvinroads.org. Click on Apply for more details.

Q. How and when do I find out if my child is covered?

A. Once your completed application is received at your local DHHR office, an eligibility worker will review your application and determine if your child is eligible. This process takes about two weeks. You will receive a notice in the mail regarding your approval or denial.

Q. I have applied for WVCHIP and received a letter of denial. I know that my income is within the guidelines. What should I do?

A. You have the option to request a Fair Hearing from your local DHHR office. The DHHR will set a meeting with an eligibility worker to discuss your application. You will be allowed to ask someone to represent you as this meeting if you are unable to attend.

Q. I am a working parent, I don’t have access to health insurance, and my kids are on WVCHIP. Can I also be covered by WVCHIP?

A. Current guidelines only permit WVCHIP to insure children.

Q. If a parent is offered family insurance through an employer but does not accept it, is the child eligible for WVCHIP?

A. Failure to accept available health insurance coverage does not affect eligibility. 

Q. If a parent does not want to cooperate with the Child Advocate Office for the purpose of child support, can the child be denied coverage?

A. No.

Q. Can a child be denied WVCHIP or Medicaid because a parent refuses to sign a personal responsibility contract?

A. No.

Q. I would like to apply for WVCHIP for my child but my ex-spouse and I have joint custody. Who applies and whose income do I use?

A. If a family is divorced or separated and have joint custody (50/50), either parent can apply for WVCHIP but both parent’s income will count in reviewing household income and family size. Click here to see the income guideline chart.

Q. Who accepts the WVCHIP card?

A. If your child becomes eligible for WVCHIP, you may want to check with your child’s doctor or dentist to make certain their office accepts WVCHIP. You may want to also check with your local pharmacy as well.

WVCHIP gives many of the same benefits as Medicaid, but is a separate private program administered by PEIA. Doctors do not have to be enrolled they simply have to accept the program’s payment for the service they provide for your child.

Q. My child is 17 years old. He was on WVCHIP last year. I didn’t receive any notification to sign him up again and he was dropped. How do I get coverage for him again?

A. You will need to reapply by calling the toll-free helpline at 1-877-WVA-CHIP (1-877-982-2447) or complete another application online at www.wvinroads.org.

Return to Top